Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Nails

Hello all!

This is my first official nail polish post! WHOO! I am a huge OPI Nail Lacquer addict (it is the only brand I use) and I found this tutorial through Pinterest and it looked so neat I thought I would give it a try. The tutorial is for Water Marble Nails and I have to say I am super pleased with the results. Here is the link to the original tutorial.

The Finished Product
What You Need :: 
~:~ At least three different shades of nail polish ranging from light to dark. 
~:~ A small glass bowl or cup. 
~:~ Toothpicks. 
~:~ A paper towel
~:~ Vaseline or tape (optional)
Everything you need

How to Do it:
~:~ Fill the small bowl or cup with water, it should be room temp.
 ~:~ Drop the first shade of nail polish in, the lightest shade is best to start with, I did four to five drops of the lightest shade. Then two to three of the middle shade and finally one to two of the darkest shade.
 ~:~ Run a toothpick through the nail polish in the cup until you get a design you like. (Only use one toothpick per design, the nail polish tends to stick to the end and it end up out of the cup and on the toothpick before you can put it on your nails if you use the same toothpick multiple times.)

~:~ Dip your nail in as vertically as possible (not straight down) and sit for a minute, then pull it out and lie your fingers down on the paper towel. (I have found that the mix works for one nail at a time, if you use it a second time without re-filling with more polish it the design will be lighter.
~:~ Once all your nails are done just sit and let them dry. Applying Vaseline to the skin around the nail is supposed to help keep the polish from getting on your skin. I don't know how well it works because I didn't have any to use. Once the nail polish dried completely I let my hands sit under warm running water and used soap to peel the dried polish off my skin.

Nail Colors ::
OPI :: Did It On 'Em

OPI :: Jade Is The New Black

OPI :: Cuckoo For This Color


Later ::
~:~ After my nails had completely dried I decided I wanted to add some gold coloring to them so I painted the tips with a gold sparkle. The Color is Below.
OPI :: Glow Up Already!
Tips and Tricks ::
~:~ Nail Polish takes a long time to dry, just because the top coat feels dry it isn't necessarily. The nail polish underneath it could still be tacky and if you hit your nails it is likely they will be messed up. Therefore I give myself a good three hours set aside to do my nails. At least an hour and a half of that is just letting the polish dry so I can be extra sure before I start washing off the excess around my skin.
~:~ Don't get discouraged if it takes a couple of times to get right. This was my first time doing the marbled nails and while I am happy with the result its not perfect. I have bubbles and all sorts of imperfections in the surface of the polish. With practice I am sure it will get easier, and I am defiantly going to practice.

Well there you have it. That is everything I can think of for St. Patrick's Day nails, my experiences and tips for you if you wish to try and duplicate the process yourself. I give credit for this to Hey, Nice Nails! because they had the original tutorial I used, but the tips and tricks and opinions expressed in this post are mine. Thanks for taking the time to read and let me know how your nails turn out, if you have any additional tips and what did or did not work for you. Oh, and a happy St. Patrick's Day everyone, make sure to wear your green!

~:~ Tamizan

No comments:

Post a Comment